Friday, January 13, 2017

Leoma's flying saucers


In order to break the ice and establish rapport with my audience, I open each of my Paint Out Loud performances by tossing hand-painted plastic Chinet plates into the crowd. I make a total of 15 plates for each show. I keep one, and let fly the other 14.
Over the years, my “flying saucers” have become something of a collector’s item. People show up at events just to try and catch a plate. When they do, they have me autograph it. I’ve met some folks who have 3, 4 or more plates on their walls at home.

A collection of these flying saucers are display as part of Palettes: Past Present and Pursuit, a retrospective of my work that is on exhibit at the Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center through January 23.
When you drop in to see the show, you will I’ve done quite a few Paint Out Loud performances. When you add them all up, you’ll find that I’ve done 30 Paint Out Loud Flying Saucer tosses to date. The number grows every year.
The Davis Art Center is at 2301 First Street in the heart of the historic downtown Fort Myers River District. Museum hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. While you're there, please make sure to sign my black coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment