Monday, June 6, 2011

"PRIVATE" phone call from Laura Bush

Main Dining Room  in White House
Laura Bush's Patriotic Christmas
"Remember 9-11 art needs new home
You know when you see the word "PRIVATE caller" in your cell phone's window as it rings that it's someone important. At least that is what I have experienced. And, this afternoon's phone call proved no different. It was former first lady, Laura Bush's office. Anne, Laura's scheduler called to share that Mrs. Bush would not be able to attend my artist reception next week at the airport. She also shared that my art, "Remember 9-11" could not be accepted into the Presidential Bush Center in Dallas. The reason? They can only accept items that were presented to the Bushs' while they were in office. Luckily for me, I had given them art while they were  so I will have to check on that later to get the cataloged numbers of the two items. The first item we hand delivered to Porter Goss's office in Washington D.C. He accepted it on behalf of President George W. Bush.
Leoma & Mike give 9-11 art  to Pres. Bush in 2003
I have fond memories of attending an artists reception at the White House with Mike during the Bush administration. A Christmas party to honor 250 artists that created an ornament that year. I even painted up an outfit to wear.  (See Linked Youtube video) .

"Hi, I'm at the White House"
Got lots of press when I returned home. I remember calling the Ft. Myers New-Press Newspaper front desk and sharing, "Hey, I'm at the White House". They interviewed me the next day while I was at the airport awaiting my flight back home. Such exciting times. I remember it as if it were yesterday.

Some of my painted shoes.
I had promised Laura Bush a pair of my clever painted shoes. Could never get her shoe size, but today I received her size and her mailing address in Dallas. I'm charged!!!! Don't be asking me to share either answer even if you are a "PRIVATE Caller". Off to buy some shoes for Laura and start a new art adventure!
Leoma created this video for Public Art Submission
More photos of "Remember 9-11" public art

No comments:

Post a Comment