Saturday, June 4, 2011

Painting Live during ArtWalk on the river

The audience watches me paint at the Franklin Shops
Painting "Live" is difficult. I make it look easy, but it is the hardest thing for me to do. To be "On" in front of the public all my  inhibitions, insecurities all surface in my brain as I feel eyes watching every brush stroke. In my mind I am only aware of the brush strokes and how they are touching the canvas. Remembering to make no parallels no straight lines, but then a member of my audience interrupts me with a question. Then there goes the concentration. I try to acknowledge them but most of the time I don't give in that I hear them and keep trying to paint. Last night was no exception. Got started way to late, but then again how much time do I really need? Most my paintings are thought out days in advance and sometimes months. I am actually painting in my brain at all times. Even when I am chatting with someone I am painting on their face, clothes, hair. etc etc and if they could see inside my brain they would probably grab my shoulders, give me shake tell me to "SNAP OUT OF IT". Ha.


Had a nice chat with Examiner writer Thomas Hall and met his lovely fiance. Following his writings for the examiner has inspired my very first blog. This ONE! Also injoyed the company of Kirsten and her sweet daughter Emma. Emma brought me a painting and I was surprised. I invited her to sit on the floor and watch me paint. She sat in my prime retail location which would not let customers shop but I did not care. You have to give in to the human factor and I did not want to miss out on any part of Emma's presence. It helped me to paint.
Emma Watches me paint
Had a short visit with charismatic Eric Raddatz. I am still holding his portrait hostage. He can get away with anything with that grin of his.  
Eric Raddatz

Left a little early to meet Mike and friends for a late dinner and as I walked the brick laden street of downtown I felt good. Being a downtown girl is
Leoma and Andy Howl
more exciting than being and island girl. Popped in the Howl gallery to get a much wanted photo with Andy. I don't even know him but I like what he has done for the downtown art scene.He is certainly the ART GLUE.

As I strolled down  the night lit street to my car I passed happy couple and groups. Then I realized how safe I felt. Not long ago, Downtown Ft Myers was scarey and undesireable. WOW....a safe downtown that has all the charm of a small city with a metropolis feel. I was actually looking up in the sky for superman to fly overhead. Guess I will have to paint than one in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment