Monday, October 31, 2016

In 2014, I became the first American to exhibit work in Pierre Bonnard's home


In my last post, I described becoming the first American to be invited to paint on a replica of Claude Monet’s floating studio. The studio boat is named Le Bateau-Atelier and it is docked at the former home of famous French painter Pierre Bonnard near Monet’s gardens in Giverny, France, where I’ve painted each year for more than a decade.

Today, a gentleman by the name of Captain Bertrand de Vautibault owns Bonnard's home. And he had the boat built to allow painters like me to sail on the Seine in search of the best scenery. As you can imagine, every painter who wishes to navigate Seine and paint in the footsteps of Impressionists such as Monet, Bonnard and Edouard Manet wants to paint on board Le Bateau-Atelier.


I have always been inspired by Monet and am very grateful to James Priest, the head gardener of Monet’s gardens, for extending such a gracious offer to have me be the first American aboard. During my three-hour sail along the Seine, I not only created 20 paintings, but signed the boat as well.

Then something unexpected happened. When Captain de Vautibault saw the paintings, he invited me to exhibit them in his home, and thus, I also became the first American to exhibit artwork in the home of Pierre Bonnard!

It’s not just nostalgia that has me recalling my experiences painting in Monet’s garden and on board the replica of his floating studio. Work from my “American in Giverny” series will be included in Palettes: Past, Present & Pursuits, a retrospective of my work that goes on exhibit on January 6, 2017 in the Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center in the downtown Fort Myers River District. I hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment